Building Safety Division
The Building Safety Division is responsible for ensuring building safety through the administration of the City’s adopted building codes. This is achieved through the permitting of all structures and improvements, as well as conducting the necessary plan reviews and building inspections. Some of the activities requiring building permits and inspections include:
- New residential and commercial structures
- Building additions, alterations, and remodels
- Tenant finish-outs of commercial spaces
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work
- Fire alarms, sprinklers, and suppression systems
- Roof repair and replacement
- Foundation work
- Exterior doors and windows
- Accessory structures, tents, carports, and patio covers
- Driveways, parking lots, and sidewalks
- Swimming pools, spas, fences, and solar panel systems
- Irrigation systems
- Demolition of structures
The Building Safety Division strives to provide quality customer service while guiding residents, businesses, and contractors through the contractor registration, permitting, plan review, and inspection processes.
In addition, the Building Safety Division acts as the liaison to the Building Standards Commission, which provides relief from certain building requirements and also acts to make recommendations to remove unsafe structures or bring them into compliance with regulations in order to protect the safety and welfare of the public.
Effective November 1, 2023, the inspection request cut off time for the next business day is 3:00 p.m.
All contractors need to be registered with the City of Kaufman before you apply for a permit. These trades include the following: General Contractors, Electricians, Plumbers, Mechanical, Sign, Backflow, Demolition, Fence, Fire Alarms, Fire Sprinklers, Fire Suppression, Foundation, Irrigation, Pool, and Roofing Contractors.
For large projects, the General Contractor will apply for the permit, but each of the trades will have to validate the permit for their trade before the permit can be issued.
For smaller or individual permits, each trade that is registered will both apply and pay for their specific permit.
You can go to MyGov to register your trade. There are no fees associated with registering as a contractor with the City of Kaufman.
Form Board Surveys
A form survey sealed by a State of Texas Licensed surveyor will be required to be on site for the plumbing rough inspection for new construction of both residential and non-residential structures.
Plan Review Fees
Plan Review Fees will need to be paid before staff will review your project. It can be made in the form of cash, check or credit card. If you pay by credit card, there will be a 3% surcharge added to your permit.
Adopted Construction Codes
2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa
2015 International Residential
2015 International Property Maintenance
2015 International Plumbing
2015 International Mechanical
2015 International Fuel Gas
2015 International Fire
2015 International Existing Building
2015 International Energy Conservation
2015 International Building
2014 National Electrical
- 2015 Int. Swimming Pool and Spa Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Residential Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Property Maintence Code Local Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Plumbing Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Mechanical Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Fuel Gas Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Fire Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Existing Building Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Energy Conservation Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2015 Int. Building Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19
- 2014 Nat. Electric Code NCTCOG Amendments Ord O-28-19