The Office of the City Secretary is a customer-driven department that delivers support with the utmost integrity and professionalism through prompt and courteous citizen interactions. Our commitment to excellence - by a creative and innovative team - supports, facilitates, and strengthens the City of Kaufman’s governmental process by assisting the Mayor and the City Council in fulfilling their duties and responsibilities.
The City Secretary is an officer of the City. The position of the City Secretary is a statutory position required by State law. In addition to statutory duties, the City Secretary serves as the Director of the Office of the City Secretary, which oversees Election Administration, Records Management, Public Information, and the appointment process of Boards and Commissions.
About the City Secretary
Jessie Hanks was appointed the City Secretary on January 2, 2019. Jessie has previously served as the City Secretary, and permit technician for the Town of Pantego, and as a Recycling Intern for the City of Grand Prairie. Jessie is a member of IIMC, and TMCA. She also is a Certified Municipal Clerk through IIMC, a Texas Registered Municipal Clerk through TMCA, and Record Management Certified. In 2023, the Office of the City Secretary received the TMCA Municipal Clerk's Office Achievement of Excellence Award.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Improving public access to municipal records and other information
- Enhancing public participation in municipal government processes
- Safeguarding, educating, and enriching the municipal election and records management processes
- Providing continuity for the Kaufman city government by recording its legislative actions, both contemporary and archival, and serving as historian for the City
- Providing daily assistance to all administrative departments of the City of Kaufman government