The election information in this section of the City of Kaufman website is provided to promote the democratic process.
For complete information regarding Voter Registration and Election in Texas: Secretary of State and Texas Ethics Commission.
The Mayor and three (3) Council members shall be elected for two (2) year terms at the general election in odd-numbered years and three (3) Council members shall be elected for two (2) year terms at the general election in even-numbered years.
The City Secretary's Office is responsible for conducting municipal elections as prescribed by the Election Code of the State of Texas. The next municipal election will be held on May 4, 2024, to elect three (3) Council members.
In accordance with State law, the candidate filing for a place on the ballot will begin on Wednesday, January 17, 2024, at 8:00 a.m. and will end on Friday, February 16, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. Qualified persons may file as a candidate between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, at the City Secretary's Office at City Hall, 209 S. Washington Street, Kaufman, Texas 75142. Candidate packets for the election may be obtained from the City Secretary's Office or the link below.
Polling dates, times, and locations for the May 4, 2023, election will be posted once finalized.
CANDIDATE PACKET & REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
2024 COUNCIL MEMBER CANDIDATES (AT-LARGE)
This information will be added once the filing period has closed.
Each of the candidates for Mayor and Council members shall meet the following requirements set forth by the City of Kaufman’s Charter:
- Shall be a least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of the election for which they are filing.
- Shall be a qualified voter.
- Shall have resided within corporate limits of the City, or recently annexed territory, for at least twelve months prior to election day.
- Shall not, after notice of any delinquency, be in arrears in payment of taxes or other liabilities due the City.
- No candidate may file in a single election for more than one office or position as provided for in this Charter.
- No employee of the City shall continue in such position after filing for an elective office provided for in this Charter.
POLITICAL ADVERTISING GUIDELINES:
- TEC Political Advertising: What You Need to Know
- TxDOT Rules for Posting Campaign Signs
- City of Kaufman Zoning Ordinance Political Sign Regulations
For more voter information please call the Kaufman County Elections Office.
Kaufman County Elections Office
The City contracts with the Kaufman County Elections Office to conduct our elections:
3001 S. Washington Street
Kaufman, TX 75142